On the 10th of October, India’s apex court banned the sale of firecrackers in the Delhi NCR during the Diwali season, owing to the region’s high pollution levels and dangerous layers of smog that spread through the city and remain in the air for a long time.
According to an article in the Indian Express, “While many saw the eco-friendly ban as an infringement on their freedom, others came forward to wish people a pollution free and noiseless Diwali. While many animal lovers campaigned for their furry friends, others urged everyone to be responsible for their children. Asking people to preserve nature for a better and healthy future many are content with a silent Diwali bright with lights and colours.”
It is commendable that our fellow citizens in the region honoured this initiative.
Here are some of the benefits that we reaped because of noiseless, green Diwali celebrations:
Health and Wellness:
To begin with, all available crackers contain a lot of toxic substances. These affect people in different ways:
- Copper: Causes irritation in the respiratory tract
- Cadmium: Reduces the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood, leading to anaemia. It also causes kidney damage.
- Lead: Has a harmful effect on the nervous system.
- Sodium: Reacts with moisture in the air and on the skin, causing burns.
Moreover, it also helps our fellow citizens with Asthma breathe peacefully.
A cracker-less, green Diwali celebration helps to:
- Protect the city from a lingering layer of smoke
- Protect the Ozone layer
- Prevent landfill and water pollution that would be otherwise caused by discarded crackers and their packaging material
As citizens across Delhi NCR have shown us, surely the spirit of Diwali is better celebrated by lighting diyas, doing charity, engaging in prayer and spending quality time with friends and family!
This short and sweet video really puts this across beautifully:
Here is to all of us choosing to celebrate traditions in a new way for our own good.